Gang abandon boxes of ‘bombs’

National

By JUNIOR UKAHA
POLICE in Lae have intercepted members of a gang who were attempting to move four cartons of dynamite out of a suburb in the city last Saturday.
Met Supt Anthony Wagambie Jr said an off-duty police officer in the Lae metro command was tipped off around 10am about the suspects trying to move the boxes containing the explosives.
Wagambie said the officer made his way to West Taraka, where he located the suspects.
Police intercepted the suspects and fired shots at them and they panicked and dropped the boxes and fled.
“Police were not able to apprehend them,” Wagambie said.
“Upon checking the boxes, police discovered that it was live explosives.
“There were 100 dynamite sticks and detonators with igniting capabilities.
“The equipment is ready to use and can be set off anytime, anywhere.”
Wagambie said bomb experts from Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF) were called in and inspected the materials.
He said the PNGDF confirmed that they were explosives.
Wagambie said last month police made a major break-through in their investigations of high-profile arm robbery cases in the city, when they raided and disbanded a criminal group that camped in the same area.

Leave a Reply