Papua New Guinea Athletes Commission (PNGAC) chairperson Karo Lelai is the new chairperson of the Oceania National
Olympic Committee’s (ONOC) Athletes’ Commission.
Lelai was elected at the inaugural meeting of the new commission for the new Olympiad on Aug 26 at the Tanoa International Hotel in Nadi, Fiji.
Lelai, who is also a board member of the PNG Olympic Committee (PNGOC) and FIBA executive board, takes over from New Zealand Olympian and longtime chair, Barbara Kendall, who held the position for over a decade.
Inoke Niubalavu of Fiji was elected deputy chair. The ONCO AC for the current term comprises:
- Edith Nicholas (Cook Islands)
- Inoke Niubalavu (Fiji)
- Jennifer Anson (Palau)
- Karo Lelai (PNG)
- Anolyn Lulu (Vanuatu)
- Sarah Walker (IOC, New Zealand)
- Ryan Pini (Athletes’ rep on the Pacific Games Council, PNG)
- Kenneth Wallace (Australia)
- James Tomkins (IOC, Australia)
Karo’s appointment as the ONOC AC chairperson now sees all PNGOC female board members hold positions on international bodies.
- Mel Donald — ONOC executive member
- Tamzin Wardley — Pacific Games Council, vice president — Audit and Finance
- Auvita Rapilla — IOC member, ONOC executive member and ANOC executive member
- Karo Lelai — ONOC AC chairperson, ANOC AC member and FIBA Oceania executive member
- Emma Waiwai — ONOC Women & Sport Committee member.