Man told to get a lawyer


A MAGISTRATE has advised a man allegedly involved in a K5.9 million robbery from Maybank in Port Moresby in 2013 to engage a lawyer.
Magistrate Cosmas Bidar gave the advice to Willie Allan who is also charged with receiving stolen properties and conspiring with others to commit a crime.
He appeared last Friday at the Waigani Committal Court.
Allan was alleged to have been involved in the K5.9 million Maybank robbery by G4S security guards in 2013.
He appeared from custody in Waigani Committal court.
Allan asked the court to remand him at Waigani police station cells for one week so that he could talk to his relatives about getting a lawyer for his case. But the prosecution objected to the request because Allan had earlier escaped from custody.
Bidar said the case was taking long to deal with because of Allan’s escape.
He told the police prosecutions to find Allan’s file before the case returned on Nov 11.
Allan first appeared in court on Oct 23, 2015.
The court allowed Allan to be brought to Waigani for only two days.
Others allegedly involved in the Maybank robbery whose cases had been committed to the National Court are Thomas Karo, Ricky Antio, Paul Stevens, Samson Banaso, Casper Louis, Bore Burom, Alphonse Samson, Hubert Korede, Stewart, Korina, Gelison William and Sonix Alowale. Thomas Karo and Ricky Antio have pleaded guilty and awaiting their sentencing.
Bore Burom, Alphonse Samson, Hubert Korede, Stewart, Korina and Sonix Alowale have had pre-trial review statements filed by the State and their lawyers in their respective cases. A date is yet to be set for their trial in the National Court.

Leave a Reply