Probe into killings stalled

National

By CLIFFORD FAIPARIK
AN investigation into the killing of two men in Hanuabada village in January last year has been hindered by the lack of cooperation of senior police officers, according to Assistant Police Commissioner (Crimes) Victor Isouve.
Isouve said National Capital District/Central divisional commander Assistant Commissioner Sylvester Kalaut and Port Moresby Metropolitan Superintendent Benjamin Turi had ignored instructions from him and Deputy Police Commissioner for Operations Jim Andrews to retrieve all the firearms used by officers in the incident. Two villagers died and three were injured at Hanuabada on Jan 23 last year.
“The police officer involved in the killing has been identified. But the suspect’s firearm and some other firearms have not been retrieved,” Isouve said.
“Only some firearms that were in possession of some of the officers involved have been retrieved.”
But Turi said he had given all the weapons required for the probe.
Kalaut said he was serving as the Madang police commander when the incident happened.
A team of police officers went to Hanuabada to impose the NCD betal nut ban and to remove those selling them. It is alleged that they opened fire indiscriminately when villagers tried to attack them.

Leave a Reply