By REBECCA KUKU
THE country has five new confirmed Covid-19 cases, including three from Western, according to Prime Minister James Marape.
The five are:
- a 12-year-old boy from Western;
- a 30-year-old man from Western;
- a woman (age unknown) from Western;
- a 42-year-old woman from Port Moresby;
- a 37-year-old man from East New Britain.
State of Emergency Controller David Manning yesterday imposed a daily curfew from 8pm to 6am daily over the next two weeks for the National Capital District, Central and Western.
The five cases bring to seven the number of people tested positive in the country so far.
The first, a 40-year-old expatriate, had arrived from Spain on March 14. He has returned home. And the second is a female health worker in East New Britain who is awaiting the result of her third test.
Marape said the five new cases were “well and under observation and in quarantine”.
“The samples were sent to the PNG Medical Research Institute for testing and after numerous tests, five have been confirmed as Covid-19 positive,” Marape said.
He said the three from Western were traditional border crossers.
“(They) have been crossing from PNG to West Papua in Indonesia,” Marape said.
Yesterday, 22 cartons of assorted personal protective equipment were sent to Western.
“The rapid response teams are already in Western initiating contact tracing,” he said.
In Port Moresby, the person tested positive is member of the Joint Agency Task Force. She has been isolated and quarantined.
“We have begun contact tracing as well,” Marape said.
“As has been in previous cases, we have locked down the Joint Agency Task Force National Operations Centre to carry out testing on all staff as part of the standard operating procedures.”
He said the two cases in East New Britain were being monitored by the ENB Provincial Health Authority.
The cases in Western and ENB also require home quarantine.
“For this I must thank the community and their leaders for supporting the Government in ensuring that this quarantine is adhered to,” he said.
Marape also called on the people to remain calm.
“Stop worrying and start seriously practising health messages we have been advocating,” he said.
“If you faithfully observe these instructions you will protect yourself and your family and stop the spread of Covid-19.”
Meanwhile everyone who has been to the national operations command centre at Mourata Haus in Port Moresby are expected to be tested. It includes security personnel, volunteers and the members of the media.
Yesterday some people from the operations centre were at the Covid-19 isolation facility at the Rita Flynn Complex at East Boroko.
It could not be confirmed if Marape had already been tested too with his ministers who conduct media briefings there daily.