The National, Tuesday August 07th, 2012
THE return of the sale of cooked food onto the streets of Lae is causing concern for health authorities in Morobe.
Angau Memorial Hospital chief executive officer, Polapoi Chalau said yesterday the cholera centre there would remain open until they were sure the disease was under control.
Chalau said they were still receiving and treating one or two patients a month.
Cholera is a contagious bacterial disease that affects the intestinal system causing diarrhoea and vomiting and without immediate treatment can be fatal.
A major outbreak of the disease in Morobe in 2010 killed many people and hospitalised many others.
Chalau urged people in the province to wash their hands after using the toilet and before eating and to keep their food covered and away from flies.
He said there was every possibility the disease could still be around and people should always be mindful and follow hygiene rules.
“Noken ting olsem sik idai na yumi lus tingting long wokim ol displa samting,” (Don’t think the disease has gone away and forget to do these things), he said.
He said the roadside sale of cooked food was a matter for the Lae City Council inspectors and police.
One tent at the cholera centre will be pulled down but two others will remain.