Army HQ acts to pay caterer

National, Normal
Source:

The National – Wednesday, December 29, 2010

 By VERONICA FRANCIS 

MURRAY Barracks army headquarters yesterday forked out K2.5 million to caterer NCS to continue their services to the PNG Defence Force.

The NCS had announced on Dec 27 that it had withdrawn its services to all PNGDF messing facilities because of non-payment of accounts, dating back to April, totalling more than K7 million.

However, it would resume its normal services today after the K2.5 million payment was made.

Acting PNGDF commander Capt Alois Ur Tom confirmed yesterday that the money had been paid to NCS which had agreed to continue with its services.

He added that there was an outstanding of K4.5 million which would be paid by February.

He revealed NCS had agreed to continue with its services in the northern units which comprised the Lombrum naval base in Manus, Igam in Lae and Moem barracks in Wewak.

Ur Tom said for the southern unit, PNGDF’s contingency cooks had been put in place until NCS did its entire stock-take for the New Year before resuming normal services. 

All services were expected to be back to normal by Jan 1, he added.

Ur Tom said at the moment, they could not do much to settle the debts because the finance office had closed for the festive season but, he believed, the outstanding bills would be paid within the next two months.

He assured all PNGDF soldiers that all NCS services were back to normal due to a quick response by the management.