The National, Wednesday October 23rd, 2013
THE National Central District metropolitan police superintendent has called on the public to report any unprofessional conduct by police officers tasked with investigating the K6.3 million heist.
Andy Bawa made the call following reports of alleged police unprofessionalism in the course of their investigations.
Bawa said while he would welcome substantiated complaints into police unprofessional conduct or other issues, allegations would just be allegations if they were not reported to police.
He was responding to allegations of police misbehavior by a community leader while investigating the case by officers using threats, intimidation, firearms and even damaging properties.
The leader who wished to remain anonymous alleged that various police divisions and officers tasked with the investigations were going beyond their duty, disregarding human rights, not following police procedures and what was expected of law enforcement officers.
The leader alleged that police officers had been convoying in unmarked vehicles with tinted windows and were using the street as a racing track with no regard for the safety and well-being of people in the community.
The leader alleged that the police officers were using threat and intimidation to get information out of people in full view of the public.
He claimed children were traumatised watching brutality, violence and abusive language.
The leader said any citizen was assumed innocent until proven guilty.
“This has contributed in causing extreme fear in the community at large, especially among women and children who longer feel safe in their homes.”
Bawa said that he “believed the allegations were just mere allegations” and added that if the community had issues, they should follow proper procedure and report the issues to police, so appropriate investigations can be conducted into the issues reported.”
Bawa said those tasked with the investigation could carry high-powered guns but needed to use them with care.