The National, Wednesday 15th Febuary 2012
ENGINEERS with bemobile have established satellite connectivity to temporarily replace lost service.
The mobile phone company said in a statement said it was aware that many of its customers had suffered severe interruptions to normal service since Feb 2.
“The primary cause was the failure of the microwave links that connect Port Moresby with Lae, Mt Hagen and Madang,” it said.
“bemobile has a site sharing agreement with Telikom PNG and uses these links to carry its traffic.”
The statement said with the satellite connectivity, communication had been re-established to most areas.
“We are hopeful that full service can be restored by the end of this week.
“The company is working to establish a comprehensive system of back-up communication links that will ensure that such problems cannot occur again.
“We expect this work to be completed during April.”
The statement said apart from the Lae and Mt Hagen links, bemobile would have direct connectivity into four other centres, with sufficient capacity to ensure high quality service.
The company apologised for any inconvenience caused and said that the situation never arise again.
“Watch the press and radio in the coming days as bemobile plans a major promotion to thank the people of PNG for their continued and valued support,” it said.