The National –Wednesday, January 5, 2011
By ELIZABETH MIAE
THE cholera outbreak in Western has been brought under control, coordinator of the provincial cholera response committee Dr Sibak Biep said yesterday.
He said despite people presenting cholera like symptoms at the treatment centre and oral re-hydration points, no more deaths have been reported since last Nov 26.
He told The National that the committee had formed rapid response teams that have been going into areas affected every two weeks to carryout awareness and provide medical assistance to those infected.
Biep also said that the committee had not misused any funding that was given by the provincial government.
He was responding to media reports last week quoting Western Governor Dr Bob Danaya stating that K1 million was misused by the committee.
He said the committee was shocked to read about it in the two dailies and were confused as to where that information came from.
Biep added that K650,000 was given by the provincial government last Dec 10 in response to the outbreak and K350,000 was given by South Fly MP Sali Subam.
He said that the K650,000 had been used to combat the outbreak of the disease in the province and the effect of what they were doing was already evident.
“We have a transparent and accountable committee in place and we will be providing a financial report (on the usage of the K650,000) to the provincial executive council meeting on Jan 10.
“As the coordinator, I state that there is no misuse of funding,” he said.