The National,Wednesday18 January 2012
THE 2011 Port Moresby Moni Plus Billiards open is set to cannon off next month.
Port Moresby Billiards and Snooker Association public relations officer John Chan said yesterday 24 players were expected to participate in competition which starts on Feb 1 and ends with the finals on Feb 5.
“Nominations are now open and the registration fee is K100 for a player,” Chan said.
He said nominations and registration should close at 5pm on Feb 1 followed by a briefing with some games to start at 7pm that evening.
“Billiards may not be as popular as snooker but the amount of interest generated in the 2010 tournament with 24 players taking part was evident. This part of the cue-sport is growing and is still popular among snooker players,” Chan said.
He thanked Moni Plus who had been supporting billiards for the past five years, Grafitti Signs, Street Scene and new comer, Bizprint for their support in this championship.
“Moni Plus is synonymous with billiards and we are grateful for their sponsorship,” Chan said.
The 2011 POM Billiards Open was scheduled to be held last November but was deferred to the New Year due to the Alotau Snooker Open held at the time.
Reigning champion Djorne Fong is expected to face some stiff competition from runner up Roger Ng, Geua John, Willie Vaieke, Victor Pomaleu, George Rumints, Arua Simoi and old hands Roger Wilson, Yiannis Nicoloau and Gary Welsby.
“It’s the new year and many players will be a little rusty on the table but for those interested in taking part, it will be a good warm-up for the season,” Chan said.