The National, Monday 17th June 2013
THE Papua New Guinea Boxing Commission and Control Board stopped the PNG Boxing Federation title fights because professional boxers had not met certain requirements.
The event was supposed to take place at the Port Moresby Country Club yesterday but has now been deferred to this Sunday.
PNGBC chairman Bernard Fong, through committee member Martin Beni, advised the PNGBF not to stage the fight as boxers had failed to produce their medical clearances.
The PNG Boxing Federation promoter paid K100 each for the registration of 16 boxers to renew their licences last week.
The registration applies to corner men, trainers, referees and judges, who have to pay K50 each before officiating.
The commission took this step as a safety measure for the professional boxers.
Beni said as the governing body of professional boxing in the country fighters should always adhere to rules and regulations.
“These boxers should not concentrate on money but their safety is very important as anything can occur during the fights.
“The promoter and the PNGBF had advised the boxers to meet all the requirements but they ignored the instructions.
“If they (boxers) fail to do so by Wednesday the event will be deferred again.
“We (PNGBF) cannot be blamed as they (pro boxers) were informed during the press conference at Lamana Hotel a fortnight ago”.
Beni witnessed the announcement of the fights by the promoter and said the boxers failed to play their part.
He called on the boxers to get their acts together and produce all receipts and medical clearances.
“This is not a new thing … the boxers know that very well but ignored advice from the promoter and PNGBC and CB.”