THE 2020 Budget is focused on growing the economy and generating revenue, with emphasis on the capital investment programme, says National Planning Secretary Korney Samuel.
He said the 2020 capital investment budget planning framework was guided by the manifesto of the James Marape-led government.
This will be done by:
- Connecting the country through the development of roads and economic corridors, followed by energy and communication;
- increasing investment in the agriculture and small business sectors, including economic and industrial zones;
- increasing internal revenue on a sustainable basis to secure sufficient resources from domestic tax collections, non-tax revenues and export earnings;
- improve the quality of service to rural areas;
- creating a safe and competitive environment to attract foreign and domestic investments;
- supporting provinces and district to generate sustainable internal revenue;
- managing population growth at a sustainable level and promoting family planning; and
- improving evidence-based planning process.
Samuel said K266 million in the capital investment programme was allocated to the agriculture sector.