The National – Friday, August 19th 2011
BULOLO United FC, who will be making their debut in the National Soccer League this season, are in their second leg of preparation before exposing their raw talents.
To ensure they are competitive at this level, a five-day district tournament will be held in Wau, Morobe, next week to pick the best players for the men’s and women’s divisions.
Bulolo United FC chairman Sam Farrock said 27 men’s and six women’s teams were expected from six Bulolo district local level governments while Wampar local level government from Huon Gulf will field a team sponsored by the Morobe Mining Joint Venture (MMJV).
“We acknowledge the National Soccer League executives for providing an avenue to expose our youths and we are committed to do whatever we can to prove our worth,” he said.
Farrock said Wau had a history of being one of first the districts where soccer was introduced in the colonial days.
The team will comprise players who are residents of Bulolo district, especially those from rural areas.
It will also be blended with some players who had been part of other franchise teams participating in the National Soccer League in previous seasons.
“This is our first experience and we hope to lure our local talents who had been playing with other franchise clubs.
“It will also help us to recognise our strengths and weakness and improve in future,” Farrock said.
The tournament is sponsored by Bulolo district administration, the Bulolo United FC through the MMJV and other local businesses.
The Bulolo United FC executive is made up of Farrock as chairman, Stanley Komunt as corporate bodies, Bulolo MP and National Planning and Monitoring Minister Sam Basil as patron, Steve Nandan as assistance chairman, Leo Dimul as deputy mayor, Mathew Mango as public relations and Seneka Yamu as coordinator.