Business as usual, says Bais

National
Source:
The National, Wednesday July 13th, 2016

PNG Power Ltd will continue to provide electricity services nationwide despite threats by the PNG Civil Society Groups to disrupt essential services.
Chris Bais said PNG Power would not take part in any stop work or shut down of power supply as this was not an industry issue but a political fight.
The threats have sparked fear and anxiety among electricity consumers of an impending power outage relating to the purported strike action.
“I would like to assure electricity consumers and the general public that we will maintain the provision of electricity services and will not participate in such strike action.
“As the electricity agency of the country, we are obligated to provide this important service to our people,” Bais said.
General secretary of PNG Energy Workers Association Santee Margis confirmed that he had also received phone calls and messages from the workers expressing their dissatisfaction over the board and management.
Margis said the members’ and workers’ concerns had been forwarded to the board and management.
“It’s the workers concerns and we as union have raised it to the management and board,” Margis said.
Air Niugini’s general manager customers and markets Dominic Kaumu said they would continue to provide normal services to the public and expected no disruptions.
PNG Ports Corporation also said it was business as usual at all its ports.
Chief executive officer Stanley Alphonse in a statement said PNG Ports employees were not going on strike.