Cases thrown out over incomplete police files

National, Normal

The National- Tuesday, January 25, 2011


THE Waigani Committal Court last Wednesday struck out several cases because the police informants failed to complete files within the given time frame allowed under the committal court practice.

The  cases included a misappropriation charge against a 35-year-old woman from Pausa village in Wapenamanda, Enga, who allegedly misused about K24,000 that was given to her by another woman to rent a store in Hohola to sell goods and also lend money to others. 

Since the complainant lived in Tabubil, Western, Ruth Taiya Yapao (accused), informed her through phone calls about the running of the business.

Last February, the complainant flew into Port Moresby and found out most of the money was misused. She laid a complaint with police who arrested Yapao. 

In discharging the information against Yapao, the court ordered her K200 bail money to be refunded.

Another case discharged was against Konie Daga, 45, of Rigo, Central, a warrant officer in the PNG Defence Force based at Port Moresby’s Taurama barracks.

Last August, Daga’s wife had gone to a night club while he was in the village. When he returned, he discovered she had gone out with his knowledge and during an argument, his wife sustained injuries after he threw a coffee mug at her. He was arrested and charged with grievous bodily harm.

His bail of K200 was also refunded.

The last case to be discharged was against James Haro, 35, from Moveave village, Malalaua in Gulf for stealing about K7,700. 

Last September, while employed as an accounts receivable clerk with Dynamic Asset Consultants (DAC) Ltd, Haro received rental fees from another company. Instead of returning the money to DAC, he kept the money and used it and resigned from the company soon after. 

He appeared on a bail of K500, which was refunded as his case was struck for want of police file.

Although their cases were discharged, magistrate Lawrence Kangwia told each of the accused that this was not the end of the case because the police could re-arrest them once the files were completed.