The National, Tuesday 28th March 2013
By DAVID WAPAR
SIX Correctional Service officers who were on duty during the Beon jail breakout last week have been arrested and will answer for their inaction.
Commissioner Martin Balthazar said the mass escape was the first of its kind at Beon.
He said all information on the escape would be thoroughly assessed to identify the nature of the breakout.
“We will look at the nature of the fence being cut. Officers have overlooked basic prison rules,” Balthazar said.
Several claims have been made against officers including non-appearance at work and deliberate attempts to allow prisoners to escape.
Balthazar said prison officers were aware of prison regulations and the Beon jailbreak would not be taken lightly.
He said while a joint operation with police proceeded, an investigation team was flying in to Madang this week.
“The jail will remain closed to any more detainees,” Balthazar said.
He had called on the public in Madang to help the police and CS officers capture the escapees.