Coates visits Melbourne

Sports

PAPUA New Guinea-born Broncos winger Xavier Coates has toured the Storm’s facilities and is reportedly set to sign with Melbourne.
In another crushing blow to the Brisbane club, the 20-year-old was the biggest fish left on the Broncos’ retention list, behind only star centre Kotoni Staggs.
However, The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield revealed yesterday that Queensland Origin star Coates was about to jump ship, having first met with Storm coach Craig Bellamy last year.
Rothfield said Coates flew to Melbourne following Brisbane’s win over the Titans and toured club’s headquarters.
“They tell me he’s on the verge of signing with the Storm,” he said.
The Broncos did receive some very welcome news over the weekend with Parramatta reportedly pulling out of the war for Staggs’ signature.
It was reported Staggs’ decision to stay with the Broncos was a “fait accompli”.
He is reportedly only waiting to see who the club is able to sign to play at halfback next year after Tom Dearden’s decision to sign with the Cowboys and reports Anthony Milford won’t be offered a contract extension.
Staggs is reportedly set for a move to five-eighth next year.
It comes after the Broncos reportedly withdrew their interest in Eels star Mitchell Moses.
The Broncos appear at sixes and sevens after reports on Friday coach Kevin Walters was preparing to fly to Sydney to put a A$2 million (K5.4 million) offer on the table to Rabbitohs playmaker Adam Reynolds.
The club was reportedly prepared to also offer Reynolds the captaincy of the club.
It has also been speculated that the Broncos are keeping their eyes on Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans and have interest in Cronulla star Shaun Johnson.
Reynolds was earlier this week reported to have received a rich offer from Cronulla and was set to accept the A$2.4 million (K6.5 million) deal.
Moses, meanwhile, is set to re-sign with Paramatta. – news.com.au

Leave a Reply