Cops ‘not entitled to claim for servcies’

National, Normal


POLICE personnel providing security or some form of services to provincial governments, business houses or individuals in line with their duty cannot ask for, or accept any form of allowance or compensation.
Acting Highlands Divisional police commander Chief Supt Thomas Eluh said police were paid by the State for the work and “it’s illegal to claim allowances or any form of compensation for the serivce they provide”.
Mr Eluh said this, after it was brought to his attention that some policemen in Western Highlands province lodged claims with the provincial government last year for some work carried out by them.
One of the policemen allegedly claimed K58,000 in camping allowances while others claimed lesser amounts.
“They submitted the claims without the knowledge of their superiors; this is corruption at its best and I’ll find out and deal with them accordingly.
“Police personnel are paid by the State to provide free services to the people, business houses, individual and any other organisations.
“There is no such thing as double pay, and any policemen or women involved will face tough disciplinary actions.
“Those who have knowledge of such actions please report to me on 5422363,” Chief Supt Eluh said.
He appealed to the people in the provincial treasury offices in the region and also in the districts to report to him if they receive any claims from his policemen or women regarding any service they provide to the State or district in line of their duties.
 “Police personnel are trained to fight corruption and if some see fit to engage in criminal activities, then they must face the consequences,” he added.