The National, Monday October 14th, 2013
THE New Ireland provincial executive council has unanimously upheld its moratorium on new logging activities in the province.
Governor Sir Julius Chan, pictured, said last week that he was “tired of the total lack of respect that logging companies are paying to the province and my government”.
He noted that one company had shipped large logging vehicles to New Ireland without getting approval.
“Those without permits or licenses will face the full force of the law,” he said.
“Damage caused by any company will be charged and repaired at the company’s expense.
“We are sick and tired of cowboy companies coming into New Ireland and clear felling our timber. And it is not only the timber that suffers – it is our infrastructure, our roads, our people.
“These companies have huge vehicles that destroy our roads, our bridges, and they do nothing to correct the damage. The only answer is to put a complete moratorium on any new logging activities in New Ireland.”
Sir Julius said logging companies that already had licenses would be very closely monitored.
“We are fed up with companies that take millions of kina out of the province, but leave nothing behind except damaged rivers and land, damaged roads and damaged bridges and social problems due to their carelessness in dealing with our people.”