THE Waigani National Court has dismissed an election petition filed by candidate Dr Hewali Hamiya challenging the win of Hela Governor Phillip Undialu.
Judge Ellenas Batari yesterday dismissed the petition upon grounds that the issues raised concerning lack of scrutiny provided by the Electoral Commission, and use of excess ballot papers during the election had no merits.
The petitioner had alleged:
- Irregularities of the conduct of the election;
- That there were extra ballot papers used;
- That there were ballot papers destroyed;
- That there were hijackings of ballot boxes, alleging errors and omissions; and
- Electoral Commission provided poor scrutiny on the conduct of the election.
Meanwhile, Undialu will be expecting another decision from the court between another petition between him and candidate Francis Potape today.