By DULCIE OREKE
A RECENT Law and Justice Sector survey has indicated a drop in this year’s crime statistics compared to last year, NCD and Central province police commander and acting Assistant Commissioner Chief Supt Awan Sete said last Friday.
He said this showed that police operations in NCD had not been hampered by limited resources.
Chief Supt Sete was speaking during the end
of the year parade and launch of the Christmas-New Year operations 2009 -10 at Boroko police station.
He said a total of 660 armed robberies were committed between Jan 1 and Dec 4 this year, in
contrast to last year, a total of 992.
Break and enter and stealing cases for this year were 332 compared to 540 reported last year.
“A total of 67 murders were reported this year compared to 73 in the same period last year,” Chief Supt Sete said.
He said other offences experienced similar reductions, according to the survey, as a result of the “workable strategies” they employed this year.
He said the decline in crime was an encouraging result which indicated that members of the force were working hard.
“These are encouraging results and they indicate that our members are working hard in whatever capacity or cohesively as a team to uphold law and order with NCD and Central command,” Chief Supt Sete said.
He urged the members of the constabulary to remain focused on their duties as they prepared for the Christmas-New Year operations.
“Spend time with your families and come to work sober and in good spirits so that we can serve our people and our country with dignity, honour and pride,” Chief Supt Sete said.
He also appealed to residents in NCD and Central province to respect the rule of law during the festive season, encouraging everyone to celebrate Christmas in its true meaning.