CORRECTIONAL Services (CS) and police have stepped-up operations for the 49 escapees still at large from Sunday Sept 27 mass break out at the Bomana prison in Port Moresby where 53 prisoners escaped.
The number of recaptured prisoners remains at four while police and CS joined forces last Friday and renewed calls for public assistance, deputy CS commissioner Henry Wavik said yesterday.
Mr Wavik also said CS was still waiting for personnel replacements to arrive from the service college in order to issue suspension notices to more than 10 warders who did not turn up for duties when the prisoners took advantage of situation and dashed for freedom.
He clarified that 11 warders on the day of the escape had chosen not to go to work while negligence of the other two present “created a lapse” which paved the way for the convicts and remandee to flee.
He said only two personnel had arrived from the service college while the rest should arrive at the end of the week.
Mr Wavik also responded to an article in The National last Friday regarding Baisu CS officers in Western Highlands province seeking a probe team to be set up and investigate outstanding issues affecting the administration of the jail.
He admitted that the report had been “straight forward” when highlighting the difficulties faced at the jail.
However, he added that head quarters had failed to investigate the allegations blaming lack of funds as the hindering factor.
According to Mr Wavik, the terms of references for the investigations have already been finalised and in his possession but cannot do much due to funding constrains.