The National, Tuesday July 16th, 2013
By MALUM NALU
THE PNG Defence Force last week held a mid-year expenditure review to ensure that money is spent within the 2013 spending plan.
This week, all PNGDF activity managers are meeting again for an intensive 2014 budget workshop.
According to a statement issued by commander Brig Gen Francis Agwi and secretary John Porti, defence had taken the largest slice of the 2013 budget cake apart from education, health, and police and this called for good administrators to provide the necessary output.
“The review workshop also established the underlying challenges to all managers to be administratively focused.
It also identified the remaining appropriate planned activities indicated in the expenditure plans, within the last remaining months of 2013 and to implement them accordingly before 2014,” it said.
“Defence is effectively resourced by the government this year (2013) to carry out its core function of service delivery and to protect the people of Papua New Guinea from unnecessary threats to its national security, which spells out the need to be accountable in the way people’s money is budgeted and used within the organisation.”
Regarding this week’s 2014 budget meeting, Agwi and Porti said it was vital to prepare early for all branch heads and activity managers to identify all possibilities.