The National, Tuesday 21st May 2013
THE Works Department is embarking on important reforms to create an environment conducive to the effective delivery of major roads projects.
Works Minister Francis Awesa said in Parliament last week the department had commenced a review of all PNG standards, specifications and procedures impacting PNG infrastructure such as the PNG Building Act and regulations, specifications for roads and bridge works, technical specification for standard architectural works and the PNG flood estimation manual.
He said the department was also refocusing its procurement plan, both in form and format, to include infrastructure projects being undertaken, including those by donors.
Other reviews include :
- Improving standard bidding documents for minor works, major works, consultancies, supply contracts and design and build contracts;
- Defining realistic construction unit cost estimates for roads works, bridge works and different types of building;
- Refocusing regular reporting by provincial works staff on infrastructure projects, including those by donors;
- Resetting the organisational and governance structure of the plant and transport division; and
- Regular reviewing of the progress of all infrastructure projects.