The National, Monday 17th June 2013
THERE has been a drastic drop in the number of registered voters for the Motu-Koita Assembly elections, according to an Electoral Commission official.
Returning officer Karo Tiana said that despite the record number of candidates, the number of voters in the common roll had tumbled.
“The new common roll will see a very big decrease with the Motu-Koita Act of 2007 now been implemented,” he said.
“In the 2008 common roll some villages had more than 3,000 voters but now with law in place those numbers have come down to less than a thousand indigenous Motu-Koitabuans who will be voting.”
Tiana said more than a hundred candidates had been confirmed for the local level government elections.
He said after the order of draws was completed last Thursday, candidates were told to provided names of their scrutineers as the Electoral Commission would be conducting workshops for them before polling begins.
Meanwhile, 14 candidates will be contesting the MKA chairman’s seat, including the only female candidate Ato Patricia Kidu.
Nine women will contest the two women’s representative seats and more than 100 candidates will contest the various council seats in the eight Motu-Koita villages.
The candidates standing are current president Miria Ikupu, Mauara Sere, Russel Wavik, Toua Paul Toua, Mickey Tamarua, Lakani Oala, Ao Morea (Hanuabada), John Gorogo (Tatana), Rabura Aiga, Rahe Rau (Vabukori), Ato Kidu, Gaba Govea (Pari), Babani Maraga (Kilakila) and Boio Morata (Mahuru).