By ELIZABETH MIAE
THE dysentery outbreak in the Rabaraba district, Milne Bay province, two weeks ago has been contained.
Principle health adviser Jack Purai told The National from Alotau yesterday that the situation was under control after a health team visited the two affected villages; Warawadidi and Danoba.
“The team conducted an outbreak assessment awareness campaign and provided treatment to those infected,” he said.
Mr Purai said more than 200 people were infected and 15 deaths were reported since March 12.
“The team is still carrying out awareness campaigns on personal hygiene and is on standby should there be any more cases.
“What the people need right now is basic health awareness on water and food borne diseases.
“The dysentery outbreak had forced us to put into practice our response tactics which were prepared and adopted during the cholera outbreak in other provinces.
“The quick response by the health authorities through the support of Milne Bay provincial government and the National Disaster Centre (NDC) resulted in the successful containment of the outbreak,” he added.
The two affected villages are understood to be inaccessible by road due to their remoteness but thanks to the NDC, a chopper was hired to airlift the team and the medical supplies to the area.
When the outbreak was first reported, a total of 145 people were confirmed to have dysentery. Eight died in Warawadidi and three in Danoba.
The number of cases had risen since then but the health authorities had been able to bring it under control.