The National- Tuesday, January 18, 2011
By EVAH KUAMIN
THE East New Britain government will launch a relief appeal for the Queensland flood disaster victims.
Provincial administrator Aquila Tubal said in a media release that the amount of devastation to lives, properties and the suffering of the people was unimaginable.
Tubal said the resilience of the people in a disaster of such magnitude was similar to what the people of Rabaul and surrounding areas had suffered during the 1994 twin volcano eruptions.
He did not say how much the provincial government will donate to kick-start the appeal.
The appeal, he said, would reciprocate the kind gesture and goodwill that had been given by the people of Australia, particularly the state of Queensland, who responded swiftly with relief food an supplies and other emergency items that were airlifted to Tokua Airport, a day after the eruptions.
Tubal said however little it would be, he extended the appeal to all leaders, district administrators, LLG managers, business houses, church and community leaders to mobilise the people to give generously.
He said it would be the thought that would be expressed through the donations that would be received, that would be valued more than the amount.
Tubal said whatever would be donated would not fully repay the support from all Australian friends but also through the long-term support of the Australian people via AusAID to the Gazelle restoration programme.
All donations could be made though the ENB branch of the PNG Red Cross Society, the office of the provincial administrator or district administrators’ offices at the respective districts.