By GABRIEL FITO
CLASSES at all elementary, primary and secondary schools in East Sepik are progressing smoothly this week with no disruptions.
A group of parents last Thursday submitted a petition to the provincial administration demanding a refund of 50% of school fees.
East Sepik parents advocacy chairman George Numbasa told The National yesterday he had advised all parents through the local radio station to let all students attend classes this week while they await a favourable response from the provincial administration on Friday.
Mr Numbasa said their initial plan to get students boycott classes starting Monday was aborted because they wanted to give the provincial administration ample time to consider their petition and respond positively to their demand.
More than 500 parents converged on the Wewak volleyball court last Thursday to submit the petition with more than 4,000 signatures to East Sepik Regional MP Sir Michael Somare but Sir Michael did not meet them to accept the petition.
This sparked angry arguments among the parents who resolved to let their students stay away from classes until Sir Michael personally meets them and receive their petition.
However, the provincial administration managed to cool down the parents and received the petition late last week, a copy of which had been forwarded to Sir Michael’s office.
Education adviser Pius Munkaje confirmed receipt of the petition by the provincial administration.