Extra holidays for school as counting takes priority

National

By DOROTHY MARK
THE second term holiday for students attending the Tusbab Secondary School in Madang has been extended for two weeks because the school is being used as a counting centre.
Term three was to have started on Monday but students were advised to take two more weeks.
It is the counting centre for the Madang Open seat.
Deputy principal Timothy Down said students were advised to take another two weeks’ holiday and would be given work to do at home.
“Normal classes will start once the counting is over,” Down said.
“We estimate that two weeks should do.”
Provincial education director Moses Sariki had stopped the use of the school facilities for general election purposes on the directive of Education Secretary Dr Uke Kombra because it would affect classes.
But a reliable source said the school and the electoral commission administration in Madang reached an understanding and allowed the students to stay away until counting was completed.
Meanwhile counting for Bogia would be conducted only during the day because of lighting issues.
“There is no power supply for counting at night,” Clemence Ibona, a scrutineer for Bogia candidate Alphonse Sonu, said.
“This may delay the declaration of winners but so far counting is progressing well.”
Counting officials for Bogia, Sumkar, Raicoast, Usino Bundi, Middle Ramu and Madang plus the Madang regional seat were setting up their counting venues yesterday.

Leave a Reply