Fire razes NHC units

National, Normal


THE family of the late Jacob Wagambie has lost their home of 21 years to a fire on Monday.
Fire razed the house owned by the National Housing Corporation (NHC) on Kanage Street at 6-Mile, in Port Moresby, about 7pm.
Widow Elizabeth told The National yesterday that she and her granddaughter Faustina were preparing dinner outside when flames were spotted in a room adjacent to the one that was burnt in 1997
“A fault in the electrical wiring could be the possible cause of the fire as unit three was burnt down in 2007 and NHC had yet to refurbish the unit,” Mrs Wagambie said.
“This is not the first fire. Other houses have been burnt over the years but NHC has never done anything about the damaged houses nor extended any help to fire victims,” she said.
Mrs Wagambie said she could not look for other places to reside because she had lived there for 21 years.
Michael Steven Wagambie, the youngest brother of the late Jacob, who would drop in regularly, said: “NHC has failed in their responsibility to regularly visit and inspect its tenants for any request of bad housing conditions that needed repair or improvement.
“None of the houses under NHC in that area has received attention from them (NHC) for inspection.
“What if there is illegal connection of water and power among the tenants?
“This is serious matter and NHC should consider the concerns of its tenants.”
For the time being, the community and family members are supporting the Wagambies with clothes and other necessities.