Flood renders new Jomba cell unfit for humans

Main Stories

By DOROTHY MARK
DETAINEES at Madang’s new Jomba cell block will be moved elsewhere or released after it was condemned by health officials.
The Madang urban local level government health authority headed by Stacy Piniau inspected the cell and declared it unfit for human habitation.
Cell block officer Leo Ongan said the cell was flooded on Tuesday night. The 31 detainees had nowhere to sit or sleep because the floor was wet.
A contractor engaged to fix the problem is refusing to fix it unless he is paid for an earlier job.
Madang provincial police commander Chief Inspector Ben Neneo said the outstanding payment had been discussed several times with the contractor.
Acting Madang provincial administrator John Bivi said they would have to pay the contractor quickly.
Police were told to fast-track the warrants for the remandees who needed to go to Beon Prison and release those yet to be charged.
Ongan said there were 31 detainees inside the cell block yesterday, including one female.
Madang Governor Peter Yama said he had just discussed the issue with Police Commissioner Gari Baki last weekend in Port Moresby.
He will be allocating K200,000 to fix parts of the cell that need attention.

Leave a Reply