Former boxer Baki continues as trainer despite losing arm

Sports

FORMER professional boxer Kevin Baki says he continues to work outside the ring as a trainer despite losing an arm in a road accident last month.
The 45-year-old is preparing his fighters for their Oceania Fight Promotions-organised bouts which will be held in Port Moresby on July 31.
“I’ve known these fighters since they took up the sport so it’s good to train people you know,” he said in the presence of national lightweight champion Raka Kauko Jr and other boxers.
“I’ve been training them for a long time now so it’s good that we have something to look forward to and now I can keep pushing them hard. Even though most sports were halted and gyms were closed, I kept telling my men that they had to continue training on their own.
“They have to be fit and ready regardless of the situation.”
Baki said Kauko needs to get back into the ring for more lead-up fights.
“I’m happy he has an exhibition bout on July 31,” he said. “He is a disciplined fighter and I have no doubt that he will do his best for Papua New Guinea.”
Baki said fighters were expecting bouts to begin in September but Ocenia Fight Promotions had arranged the July 31 event which was a relief following the suspension of Kauko’s title fight in April.

Leave a Reply