The National, Monday 24th December, 2012
By HENRY MORABANG
FORMER National Soccer League chairman John Kapi Natto is disappointed the 2013 season failed to start on time.
But Kapi Natto said he was glad the semi-professional competition was still alive after six years.
The revised six-team competition was scheduled to kick off during the first weekend of January but late registrations by the various franchises forced it to be postponed to Feb 2.
So far, Hekari United FC, Welgris Highlander FC, Besta PNG United and West New Britain Tavur have paid their full affiliation fees while the two last spots are still up from grabs.
“I am glad that it is alive today but more can be done if everyone is willing to get their hands dirty,” Kapi Natto said.
“There is so much more that can be done in making football become successful but it depends on good corporate sponsorship partnerships and an effective board and management to get it going further.”
The former chairman challenged the new board, headed by Isaac Lupari, to be proactive and “get their hands dirty” in developing and promoting NSL.
He paid tribute to franchise owners such as Libe Parindali for his commitment to Morobe United, Joe Ealedona for Eastern Stars FC, Besta, Southern Highlands provincial government, Welgris Fuel Distributors, Mineral Resources Development Company, Petroleum Resources Kutubu and Kutubu Security Services for supporting NSL during his term in office.
He also paid tribute to several individuals who helped pioneer NSL in its early stages such as Roger Mirupasi, Edward Tauloi and Thomas Piliwas.
“These were the men who stood with me with sacrifice to ensure that NSL survive,” Kapi Natto said.