The National, Tuesday 18th September, 2012
EAST New Britain Governor Ereman ToBaining Junior has committed K1 million to upgrade all feeder roads in the province before the PNG Grassroots Games starts.
In addition, ToBaining committed K500,000 for the Host Organising Committee and K200,000 for Team East New Britain.
Speaking last Friday during a press conference during which an update of the progress of games preparation was given, he said the rollout of the K1 million would begin this week, with work to start at Takubar Road.
He said with the K500,000 given to the HOC, part of it would be used to build toilet facilities at selected areas and at Tokua airport.
He said the K200,000 for Team ENB would come as a proposal submission to the districts and paid through suppliers for sporting equipment.
Tobaining thanked the people for their hard work and commitment in the past months, saying preparations so far were good.
“We are doing fine despite critics from other centres,” he said and thanked Sir Rabbie Namaliu for coordinating the games preparations.
Acting provincial administrator, Levi Mano said the PNG Games was a priority project for 2012.
He assured the HOC, ENB people and participating provinces that the administration was committed to delivering successful games.
Mano said the HOC and provincial administration were going out to districts to make it known that the games would be brought to their doorsteps.
“The games are all about building team spirit for PNG, instilling the feeling of patriotism and ENB is privileged in doing that.”
The provincial administration has given its full support on staffing, with all its engineers and technical staff being used in the preparations of facilities and logistics.