The National, Thursday February 13th, 2014
By MORTIMER YANGHARRY
MILNE Bay Governor Titus Philemon yesterday asked the government if funds for the continuation of the Alotau-East Cape highway project are ready.
Philemon told parliament work had started on the upgrade and eventual sealing of the road, which saw the provincial government injecting K6 million into the project. The first 3 km has been completed.
He said the road network was part of the national highway but he could not wait for the national government’s intervention and went ahead to counter fund the important link between Alotau and outer parts of the province.
Philemon asked Minister for Works and Implementation, Francis Awesa if funding was available.
Awesa said funding was made available but could not confirm how much had been allocated.
He assured Philemon he would get back to him this week.
Awesa told parliament the government was trying to upgrade and seal existing roads in the country and would continue to maintain and upgrade existing feeder roads and build new ones.
He said his department was working on a new mechanism that would see road maintenance contracts given to reputable companies.
He said instead of just building and upgrading roads, the company would be responsible for the daily upkeep and maintenance.
He said 50 per cent of the payment of the contract would depend on the maintenance of the road and the balance would be paid after the actual work was completed.