By MIRIAM ZARRIGA
THE Government is expected to give details today of new public health safety measures in three provinces which have recorded a surge in the Coronavirus (Covid-19) cases.
The provinces are Western, West Sepik and Eastern Highlands.
Acting Prime Minister Soroi Eoe said the measures should reduce the risk of spreading the Covid-19, especially the Delta variant, to other provinces. Controller of the PNG Covid-19 National Pandemic Response David Manning confirmed that there would be no national lockdown.
“There are some provinces which have a lockdown because of the alarming rate of Covid-19 cases,” Manning said.
“They are Western, Eastern Highlands and West Sepik.”
Manning said it would not be immediate as a coordination needed to be done in the next seven days before a proper announcement was made.
“The measures will be released tomorrow (today),” he said.
The other provinces being monitored are the National Capital District, Morobe and Enga.
Eoe said the Independence Day celebrations last week had seen a spike in Covid-19 cases.
“Measures will be looked at (to allow) people’s rights and movements but people have to take precautionary measures,” Eoe said.
He said West Sepik and Western were on the border with Indonesia.
“Some of the viruses tested in PNG are found in Indonesia.
“So that is why we have to look at this two provinces and take measures accordingly.”
There are 54,368 people who have been fully vaccinated so far, with 29,154 in Port Moresby alone. Morobe has 5,162, Western 5,006 and Enga 1,901.
As of last week, 10 people have died from the Covid-19.
There were 203 new cases reported in the five days after Sept 9.
The total number of Covid-19 cases in the country is 18,542.
By MIRIAM ZARRIGA