The National –Wednesday, January 12, 2011
By KEVIN TEME
THE PNGNRL board has set the rules for new franchises entering this year’s intercity cup.
Board chairman Don Fox said three general rules would be used in selecting any new entrants for the 2011 intercity challenge which is set to be another open contest.
“This year we’ll have a much better competition than last year and I’m pretty sure we’ll be having a 10-team competition,” Fox said earlier in the week.
“The three new franchises, the Gulf Isapeas, Central Lagatois and Huli Wigmen, will be do their final presentations at the next board meeting set on Jan 22 (Saturday week) in Port Moresby but only one will be successful.”
The criteria set for the eligibility is to have a quality homeground with fencing, seating and reliable revenue collecting methods; to have sound financial backing from a major sponsor with a proven track record; and the ability to pay the franchise fee (K90,000) on time and have a minimum of K300,000 for the season.
Some franchises have spent up to K500,000 in a season previously.
The franchise must also have a good club structure which includes administration, player recruitment, marketing plan and an extended plan for the club’s future development, especially in their home provinces.
Meanwhile, Fox said a new sponsor and brand for country’s semi-professional competition would be formally announced later this month.
Fox added that during the meeting a deadline for all franchise fees will be set but confirmed it would not be increased.
The teams that will be considered for this year’s competition must meet all criteria as well as others stipulated by the the national rugby league.
In related news, Fox denied claims by Masta Mak City Rangers franchise owner Kelly Aiyok that the Rangers were owed money by the PNGNRL board.
“We do not owe them money but if they are serious about playing this year, they can when they repay their debts including the franchise fee for this year.”