The National, Friday 10th Febuary 2012
NAMATANAI Secondary School is not closed with classes starting yesterday as late registration continued.
Namatanai district education coordinator, Robert Bulumaris confirmed yesterday normal classes would begin today.
New Ireland education adviser Dr John Hamau said the provincial education board had not received a health inspection report that condemned the school as unfit for human habitation.
He said no one was allowed to suspend the school other than the provincial education board.
Bulumaris said a health inspection report could be carried out but the final decision rested with the education board.
Hamau said major renovations of essential school facilities had been carried out since December last year through a K150,000 funding by the Namatanai District Joint District Planning committee.
He said he had been to the school to check on the ongoing status of renovations and no health hazards had been identified.
Further renovations are to be carried out in April under the tax credit scheme of Lihir Newcrest Mining Ltd.
Hamau said a new standby generator with the capacity to supply electricity and pump water to the school area was to be delivered from Kokopo, East New Britain yesterday.
Hamau welcomed John Tokmun as the new principal of the school and on behalf of parents in New Ireland praised the national education department’s 2012 subsidised tuition-free education.