Students attending primary and secondary schools in the country have three weeks left before they return to class on Feb 1 to begin the new academic year.
Education secretary Dr Uke Kombra, who released the school calendar earlier, said Government departments, business houses, churches and non-government organisations that depended on the education calendar to plan their events and activities could have access to these dates.
The 2021 academic term dates are:
- TERM one: Feb 1 – April 9 (10 weeks teaching) – holidays (April 12 – 16);
- TERM two: April 19 – June 25 (10 weeks teaching) – holidays (June 28 – July 9);
- TERM three: July 12 – Sept 17 (10 weeks teaching) – holidays (Sept 20 – Sept 24);
- TERM four: Sept 27 – Dec 10 (11 weeks teaching) – holidays (Dec 13 – Jan 28, 2022);
- Teachers resume duties on Jan 25; and,
- Students begin classes on Feb 1.
Meanwhile, some parents in Port Moresby are preparing their children for the academic year by purchasing school stationery and uniforms.
At Tango’s Boroko and Tokarara stores yesterday, parents and children were busy shopping for school uniforms and stationery.
Gertrude Bonny, accompanied her siblings Agnes Lus, 15, Robert Uru, 5 and Magdalyn Uru, 8, to Tango in Tokarara to buy stationery.
They said they wanted to buy their school supplies early.