Hekari, Star book final spots

Normal, Sports

The National, Tuesday 10th April 2012

IT will be an all Port Moresby affair in the next weekend’s Telikom National Soccer League grand final when the defending champion MRDC Hekari United take on CPL Eastern Star at Lloyd Robson Oval.
Hekari prevailed over a determined NBS Tukoko University 3-1 in the first semi-final in Port Moresby while the Port Moresby-based Milne Bay franchise saw off a strong challenge from Besta PNG United to win the second semi-final 1-0 at the Football Academy field at 10-Mile outside Lae.
The Port Moresby clash between Hekari and University was perhaps the best NSL game so far this season.
University in particular saved their best performance for the playoff match pushing Hekari to the limit throughout the match. 
If University retains the same side for season, they could become serious contenders for the NSL title.
University founder and the former University of Technology Vice Chancellor Misty Baloi­loi was satisfied with the performance of his boys despite the outcome.
Both clubs fielded their strongest line-ups in the eliminator.
But the defending champions were without David Muta (overseas) and Kema Jack (injured).
Coach Jerry Allen still had the likes of Maciu Dunadamu, Raymond Gunemba, Samuel Kini, Clifton Aumae, Eric Komeng, Wira Wama, Pita Bolaitoga, Koriak Upaiga, Andrew Lepani and Taniela Waqa to count on.
University were also well-served with Armstrong Peka, Gerard Lashel, Goroba Tawa,  Valentine Nelson, Malakai Ben, Bobby Kabekabe, Sowera Kurti, Hansal Trimio, Lazarus Dapel and goalkeeper Daniel Kali.
In the opening half, Hekari struggled against the wind while University were running towards Boroko market end of the field giving their opponent extra work in defending their goalmouth.
Hekari strikers Dunadamu and Gunemba always looked dangerous making defenders Nelson, Dapel, and Ben work overtime to contain them.
The reigning champions launched several attacks but goalkeeper Kali was superb with a safe pair of hands denying Hekari any goals.
The home side found the net midway through the first half through Dunadamu who feigned  a pass to Gunemba before re-gathering the ball swivelling in the one motion and slotting it in the far corner of the Tukoko goal.
To their credit University replied quickly through Lashel who caught the Hekari defence by surprise with his speed and beat goalkeeper Kali to tap into an unguarded net for the equaliser.
Both teams tried to extend the lead but did not find the net.
Hekari was on top having more opportunities but were off target.
In the second half, Hekari’s experience and class came to the fore with sustained pressure in the Tukoko half producing a Bolaitoga goal  for a 2-1 lead.
From there on, Hekari kept the heat on Tukoko continuously bombarding their territory.
Gunemba missed an  easy chances while Daniel Joe’s strike was fended off by Kali.
University’s enthusiastic attack almost struck with a Tirimo lob stranding Kali however defender Eric Komeng was there to fend off the attempt.
The game was  still anyone’s until veteran Lepani scored in the dying minutes to seal the match 3-1.


Leave a Reply