The National – Tuesday, June 14, 2011
THE host organising committee (HOC) for next year’s PNG Games in East New Britain has moved to plan B with preparations leading up to the games next November.
HOC chairman Sir Rabbie Namaliu said on Saturday that plan A was initially to build a stadium in Kokopo town to cater for the games.
However, he said due to time and funding limitation , the HOC had decided to take on plan B and improve sporting and accommodation facilities in the three districts of Kokopo, Rabaul and Gazelle.
The three districts were expected to provide a report to the HOC on existing facilities in the respective venues.
Namaliu said Rabaul district handed over its report at the end of last week to convince the HOC that its sporting facilities and venues were in order.
He said from the K250,000 committed by the ENB provincial government, K50,000 has already been released for preparations.
He said the HOC would meet with the National Games Council on June 22-23 to find time to visit the different sporting sites.