ICCC warns on battery dangers

Health Watch, Normal

The National, Thursday July 18th, 2013

 THE Independent Consumer and Competition Commission is warning people of the dangers of button batteries.

Button batteries are powerful coin-sized batteries normally used in electronic devices.

It said electronic devices were part of daily lives and they were getting smaller, slimmer and sleeker. 

“But inside the battery compartment of mini remote controls, calculators, watches, remote keyless entry, flameless candles, singing greeting cards and other electronics, are powerful coin-sized button batteries. 

“If swallowed, these batteries can get stuck in the throat and cause severe burns. 

“Small children often have easy access to these devices and many parents do not know there is a risk.”

The ICCC said a few safety tips people should take note of were: 

Keep devices with button batteries out of reach if the battery compartments were not  secure, and lock away loose batteries;

  • If a child swallowed a button battery, go to the emergency room right away. Do not let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting; and,
  • Share this information.