By PETER WARI DWU Journalism student
THE police team sent to Lae, Morobe province to probe the shooting and wounding of a man from Southern Highlands province by MS 08 and 13 on Dec 10 has completed investigations.
The four senior investigators are now in Kundiawa, Simbu province to question another group.
Southern Highlands provincial police commander Supt Jimmy Onopia said: “The probe team’s objective is to bring those responsible to court and have them punished for their actions.”
He said the police commissioner had condemned the shooting and accepted full responsibility over the behaviour of the policemen.
The victim, Kennedy Embia from Yaken village in the Imbongu district is now recovering at Mt Hagen General Hospital intensive care unit.
Supt Onopia said a first petition had been presented to the police, Southern Highlands provincial government, Exxon Mobil and the Hides landowners.
In the second petition submitted on Wednesday, the community leaders, councillors and Embia’s relatives gave a 14-day notice to disrupt construction of the Highlands Highway if there was no favourable response from all parties concerned.
Any disruption to construction work would affect the multi-billion-kina LNG gas project and also the people of Poroma, Kutubu, Nipa, Margarima and Hela.
Supt Onopia said communities must stop breaking the law in pursuit of their demands
Following the shooting, a peaceful protest march was held on Dec 16, from Punwap market in Mendi town to the police station where they handed the first petition demanding K4 million compensation.
Supt Onopia confirmed receiving the second petition but was unable to transmit to the people concerned.