SEVEN million kina worth of students’ dormitories at the Kerevat National High School is nearing completion with the official handing over of the keys conducted last Saturday.
The ceremony was attended by Education Minister James Marape and National Planning Minister Paul Tiensten and was witnessed by members of the school board among other school staff and the contracting company SWT.
Ninety per cent of work on the project, which had drawn much controversy, had been completed.
The rest is to be completed within two weeks before the certificate of completion is issued to the contractor.
School board of directors chairman, Ronnie Ilam described the work done on the dormitories as satisfactory.
He said maintenance on classrooms would be included under a second phase worth K4 million and would be tendered by the Central Supply and Tenders Board in two weeks as scoping works have already been completed.
Mr Ilam said there would be no Grade 11 intakes for this year but probably next year depending on the completion of repair work on the classrooms.
He said only the foundation of the deteriorated classrooms would be left while the rest of the rotting building materials would be removed.
Only four classrooms at the pioneer institution are still in reasonable condition and would be used by the four classes of Grade 12 students, with a total population of 280 students this year.