Lahanis player’s 10yr ban reduced

Sports

THE Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition’s (PNGNRLC) appeals committee has reduced Goroka Lahanis second-rower Ake Paluse’s 10-year ban for assault to just three Digicel Cup matches.
The assault on referee Max Topani occurred in the Lahanis’ round-one loss to visitors Hela Wigmen at the Sir Danny Leahy Oval in the Eastern Highlands capital last month.
“Following an appeals committee hearing, it was decided that the match review committee’s decision on Ake Paluse’s suspension be reduced from 10 years to three matches, effective as of round four,” the competition said in a statement yesterday. It said Paluse would be eligible to play from round seven with a strong warning that a repetition of any similar offence would activate the initial suspension.
“The appeals committee also reviewed the match review committee’s decision to suspend the Lahanis’ home games indefinitely,” the competition said. “It has decided that the Sir Danny Leahy Oval be re-instated as the Lahanis’ home ground due to the fact that there were a lot of resources provided by the franchise in restoring the venue.”
It said the Lahanis would host their second home game of the season at the Sir Danny Leahy Oval on Sunday, with competition manager Ora Gairo to monitor compliance, including the deployment of police.
“Failure to do so (ensure compliance) will result in the match review committee’s decision being re-instated,” the competition said.
The appeals committee then reviewed the match review committee’s decision to ban Post-Courier stringer David Boli and Yomba Photography’s Gabriel Giwi wasupheld.
“Therefore, both individuals are banned from entering any PNGNRLC and PNG Rugby Football League-sanctioned matches,” the competition said.
“Boli’s case will be referred to the PNG Media Council.”

 

Leave a Reply