Mead, family adapt

Sports
Kumuls’ David Mead in action during the 2017 Rugby League World Cup which was hosted by Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. – Getty Images
Kumuls’ David Mead in action during the 2017 Rugby League World Cup hosted by Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

By PARKER TAMBUA
PAPUA New Guinea Kumuls and Catalans Dragons centre David Mead and his young family have adapted to life in isolation as the coronavirus lockdown in France continues.
The former Bronco told The National on Friday that being confined with his wife Taneal and two children in their Perpignan home was a surreal experience.
“We have been in lockdown for nearly three weeks,” said the 31-year-old, who joined the French-based English Super League club in 2018 after eight years with Gold Coast and one with Brisbane in the National Rugby League.
“This means we can’t leave our home unless it’s for buying necessities or visiting the hospital.
“My family and I are doing well.
“The first three days of lockdown seemed pretty strange because we had never experienced anything like it.
“We are now used to it and looking forward to be able to leave the house to see our friends hopefully in the near future.”
Mead, who has recovered from a torn abductor tendon, said the Super League season had been suspended indefinitely as of March 17.
“We have been told that the season is still going ahead but we don’t know when,” he said.
“If the competition is cancelled, I will make a decision in the best interest of my family whether to return to Australia, PNG or stay in France.”
Meanwhile, the Tubusereia native has encouraged people in the country to be vigilant and adhere to the advice of the Government and relevant authorities in the wake of the pandemic.
“I would like to encourage our people to stay positive and calm, and listen to what the health experts recommend,” he said.
“It is a strange time for everyone so take good care of yourselves and each other.”

4 comments

  • David for the best interest and safety of your young family remain in door and carry out a risk assessment from the daily news status update of the Coronavirus -19 in France before making a decisive decision either to stay or return home to Australia or PNG. PNG is and has been declared a State of Emergency throughout the 22 provinces and the Locked in all centres. During the parliament sitting last Thursday the parliament has voted and agreed to extend the SOE for the next two months. Social Distancing has been introduced but it seems like the PNG people especially in Port Moresby are not effectively complying with directions. Domestic flights to certain provinces have resumed today 07 April 2020, but with conditions for the travellers to comply with prior to travelling domestically. The was and second confirmed case reported yesterday in Rabaul East New Britain province. The female person is still in Rabaul.

Leave a Reply