Mine resumes operation after closure

Main Stories

By SHIRLEY MAULUDU
OK Tedi gold and copper mining operations resumed safely yesterday after a six-week closure due to the Covid-19, chief executive and managing director Musje Werror says.
He said the focus yesterday was to get the workers settling back after six weeks away.
“It has been a tough period managing the Covid-19 situation at our mine after the first positive case was detected on Aug 5 in Tabubil,” Werror said.
“Thankfully the intervention measures put in place helped to stop the spread of the virus.”
He said 183 positive cases had been reported in the operation area with more than 90 per cent fully recovered.
“The recommencement of operations is welcome news to the State and the landowners, who own 67 per cent and 33 per cent respectively of the company, after K150million in dividends was paid last week,” he said.
Werror said production levels for the remainder of the year would not be at full capacity.
“This is due to the reduced crew levels, with a change from a three-panel to a four-panel roster and will slowly ramp up as more personnel are recruited.
“However, the financial outlook is very positive with the higher than budget metal prices,” he said.
He said to sustain safe operations, they implemented initiatives such as placing personnel into work bubbles.
They set up entry point centres in Tabubil, Kiunga and Port Moresby where employees and contractors would be quarantined for seven days and get tested before they could resume work.
Coinciding with the restart and Independence Day week, the company launched its new tagline “Our Mine, Our Pride, Our Future” replacing the old “Securing Our Future”.

Leave a Reply