Mioks hold on for one-point win

Normal, Sports

The National – Tuesday, June 14, 2011

TOYOTA Enga Mioks made it three wins in a row on Sunday holding off SBS Mendi Muruks 15-14 in Wabag at the Johnson Siki’s Oval.
A field goal early in the second half by halfback Sova Milfred turned out to be the play of the day.
In the first half, Muruks fullback Peter Andrew set up centre Wesser Tenza to draw first blood in the 7th minute for a 6-0 lead after lock Malachi Owen added the extras.
Mioks replied with a converted try by winger Kevin Inagafa who was put into space by Oliver Keri 30m out from the Muruks line to lock the scores at 6-6.
Muruks added a penalty to reclaim the lead with five-eighth Kewa Kili making no mistake from 20m out for to make it 8-6.
Two minutes before halftime, Mioks’ winger Junior Belkawa took advantage of an overlap to outflank Mendi’s defence and score in untouched.
Inagafa was successful with his conversion gi­ving Enga a four-point lead heading into the break at 12-8.
In the second half, Mioks scored three points in quick succession through Milfred’s drop goal plus penalty by Inagafa for a seven-point break at 15-8.
The Mioks led by forwards Essau Siune, David Loko, Danny Patrick, Robert Gabriel took no prisoners in the middle of the ruck repelling Muruks big men and helping keep last year’s grand finalists trapped in their own territory.
However, Muruks skipper Charlie Wabo provided his team with a vital breakthrough, scoring a converted try midway through half for one-point ball game (15-14).
Muruks continued to seek another game breaker chancing their hand in the last quarter but a combination stoic Mioks defence and Muruks errors helped the home side hold out for another deserved win to the Timothy Lepa-coached team.
The Johnson Siki Oval was packed despite heavy rain after Enga Governor Peter Ipatas subsidised 50%  of the gate collection.
Mioks will take on Gulf Isapeas in Port Moresby this Sunday which will represent their first away match in four weeks.