By BOSORINA ROBBY
PAPUA New Guineans now have a regulated and legitimate system for playing the lottery using their mobile phones in this first of its kind technology.
This technology ensures that all entries for the lottery are accurate, with players receiving receipts of the numbers they selected and has a verification process which assists in avoiding human errors.
Operated and owned by national company PNG Lotto Ltd, the system is aimed at making millionaires out of everyone in a transparent and accountable way.
PNG Lotto director of operations Paul Smith explained yesterday that this system would ensure that people know where their money was going, leaving enough for prizes.
Using the Digicel mobile network, players can send an SMS containing their choice of six numbers between one and 44, with spacing to 16888.
A receipt acknowledging your entry will be sent to your phone showing the six choices you made and it costs K4.20 per entry.
The receipt will also carry a notice advising that people under 18 years are not allowed, by law, to participate.
Smith said the comments from the public regarding this issue had been taken into consideration and with the National Gaming Control Board (NGCB), had come up with ways to ensure that the system was not abused and minors were not encouraged to play.
The previous Gold Lotto folded in 2003 due to lack of accountability and transparency, which under this new system, will be avoided.
NGCB operations director Eddie Sinai said with the government now focusing on sports, 10% of all profits received from this venture would be going back into the communities to develop and engage youths in sports.
He said the board’s role was to ensure that everything was controlled and there was fairness so that nothing got out of hand.
The NGCB recently issued the licence to PNG Lotto Ltd to operate the National Lottery licence, viewing this initiative as the most efficient method to legitimise the illegal gambling that currently occurs in PNG.
The first of the “Super Saturday” draws will be on Nov 6 for K1 million.